The Great Planes Super Stearman has long been considered the classic biplane, the versatile Stearman has assumed many roles, and has never failed to impress. Great Planes' IMAA-legal scale model of the Super Stearman is just as impressive, with attention to detail evident throughout and flight characteristics that parallel that of the full-size plane.
All main sections feature built-up balsa and plywood. Four ailerons (instead of two) give this Stearman "super" agility especially when each is powered by its own servo. Coupling rods are supplied for when using only two servos. The dual cockpits feature vacu-formed windscreens with painted frames, and come complete with a pair of scale pilot figures. A steerable tailwheel assembly aids in ground handling. A plywood carrying handle is included that makes for easy transport of the fuselage and interplane struts.
- Construction: Balsa and plywood
- Wings: Balsa and plywood, both one-piece, semi-symmetrical airfoil
- Cowl: Painted fiberglass with inner plywood ring that provides
- strength and allows cowl to be attached with no visible screw heads
- Covering: Top Flite MonoKote, color scheme is predominately White
- with with Red and Black accents, see COMMENTS for MonoKote colors
- Radio Compartment: Plywood reinforced, accessible over lower wing
- Wheel Pants, and Landing Gear Fairings: Fiberglass, painted to match
- covering scheme
- Interplane Struts: Painted fiberglass
- Cabanes: Painted metal
- Open Cockpit: Two with fully detailed and painted pilot figures,
- trimmed and detailed clear plastic windshields, rubber cockpit
- Cockpit Features: Instrument decals
- Landing Gear: Aluminum with steerable tailwheel
- Wheels: Two 3ï¾¾" (95mm) foam, one 1ï¾¼" (32mm) foam tailwheel
- Spinner: 2Â½ " (63mm) aluminum
- Aileron Control: Four servos, coupling rods are supplied if modeler
- desires two servo control
- Hardware: Full set included
- Motor Mount: Composite, two-piece construction
- Building Time: Ready to fly in 16-20 hours
- Warranty: Great Planes Model Manufacturing Company guarantees this
- kit free from defects in both materials and workmanship at date
- of purchase.
A dummy radial engine and polished aluminum spinner add realistic touches to the plane's appearance. A plywood ring glued inside the cowl adds strength, and allows for cowl attachment without visible screw heads.
Like the cowl and landing gear fairings, the wheel pants are also made of lightweight fiberglass, and painted to match the plane's trim scheme.
A plywood carrying handle kit is included that makes for easy transporting of the fuselage and interplane struts.
Engine: .91 (14.9 cc) - 1.20 (19.66cc) 2 or 4 stroke
Muffler: Pitts style if using 2-stroke engine, or standard muffler included with 4-stroke engine
Servos: 5 standard size, 4 with 54 oz-in torque minimum, one with 42 oz-in of torque for throttle
(2-ailerons, 1-elevator, 1-rudder, 1-throttle)
Servo Extension 12": Two for aileron servos
Y-Harness: One for aileron servos
NOTE: if building kit with four aileron servos, two additional aileron servos, two additional servo extensions, and one additional
Y-harness will be needed
Misc. Items: glow plug, ï¾¼" foam rubber padding, 2' large fuel tubing, fuel filter, propeller, building and field equipment.