The Baja SS follows the HPI innovation of upgraded 'Super Sport' models that feature kit versions of popular HPI RTR models, with additional option parts added to enhance the enjoyment of your kit. A long list of option parts is included with the SS version of the HPI Baja 5B. As you build the kit, you add in the options that come in the box, and add your own radio gear (receiver, throttle servo, and receiver battery).
At the heart of the Baja SS is the #15403 Fuelie 26S 26cc engine, a tougher, stronger and more powerful engine than the standard 23cc Fuelie engine in the Baja 5B RTR buggy. With more displacement you get increased low-end grunt, more acceleration and huge top-end speed! The Fuelie 26S is a 2-stroke engine powered by regular pump petrol that is mixed with 2-stroke engine oil, so the running cost of the engine is extremely low when compared to any normal nitro powered glow engine. You'll spend just pennies per tank on fuel!
- Chassis: Narrow channel monocoque design 0.16" (4mm) thick, gun-metal gray in color, constructed of aircraft grade 6061 T6 aluminum, side guards protect engine from dirt and debris
- Drive: Rear wheel gear drive with heavy duty dogbones
- Engine: 2 cycle 1.6 cu in (26cc) gasoline with pull starter, quick release foam air filter, primer, choke and kill switch
- Servo: Water proof, metal gear high torque 25kg-cm steering servo speed, 0.16 sec at 60 degrees
- Ball Bearings: Full set included
- Shocks: Four VVC heavy duty aluminum shocks with 5 externally adjustable dampening settings and dual rate springs for progressive dampening action on all surfaces, modified rear shock tower brace
- Main Gear: 57 tooth composite construction
- Gearbox: Sealed, heavy duty metal gears
- Differential: Viscous Torque Control can be tuned using different weight diff oils, hardened metal planetary gears, aluminum alloy diff case
- Brakes: Ventilated dual disc
- Clutch: 2-shoe, 8000 RPM
- Gas Tank: 25.3 oz (750cc)
- Front Tires: HPI Dirt Buster Rib Pattern M compound 2.4" (60mm) wide 6.7" (170mm) outer diameter
- Rear Tires: HPI Dirt Buster Block Pattern S compound 3.1" (80mm) wide, 6.7" (170mm) outer diameter
- Wheels: Black 5-spoke, nylon 3-piece bead lock, bead is bolted to wheel to hold tire securely in place-no need for tire glue
- Body: Clear pre-cut
- Rear Wing: Molded black plastic with decals applied
- Roll Cage: Baja style high impact nylon protects engine and body from crash damage
- Suspension: Fully adjustable, long travel double wishbone
- Caster: Adjustable, with shims 22 / 25.5* stock / 29 degrees caster/toe-in refers to the angle of the front suspension when viewed from the side of the car in relation to the chassis
- Camber: Adjustable, camber refers to the angle of the tops of the tires from vertical when viewed from front or behind vehicle
- Warranty: 2-year limited, valid only in USA, Canada and South America Baja light sets are available
To handle the extra horsepower of the Fuelie 26S, the drivetrain of the Baja SS is boosted with specially designed option parts that can handle the power increase. Providing a boost of extra power is the Aluminum Tuned Pipe, which is designed just for the 26cc engine and gives even more acceleration power to the Baja SS. The 8000 RPM Clutch lets the engine rev up to a high RPM before engaging the drivetrain, giving you lightning-fast acceleration off the starting line and out of every corner. Protecting the differential is the #87568 Aluminum Alloy Diff Case, giving protection from the extreme strength of the engine. Finally, the Heavy Duty Rear Dogbones get the power from the diff to the rear wheels with chunky steel driveshafts and jointed rubber boots for minimal loss of power.
To improve the handling of the Baja even further, a full set of new #87561 and #87562 VVC/HD Baja shocks are included that improve handling on all types of terrain and are also heavy-duty to keep things secure on the track. A complete set of #86618 sway bars are included to keep your Baja SS planted in the curves and aid traction. To get more rear suspension travel at the rear, our designers have modified the rear shock tower brace - this gives you better rear traction and increased braking for lower lap times!
The Baja SS carries over the robust, efficient and highly detailed double-wishbone suspension from the standard Baja 5B, giving you amazing control and precision over any type of terrain. The suspension doesn't just look like the real deal, it's built to last! The rugged upper and lower arms will soak up the bumps and rough landings of fast off-road driving and racing, plus it's super-strong to hold up in those inevitable crashes and rollovers!
The front and rear suspension hubs are also extremely durable and made from tough nylon composite material, so it will go the distance and absorb any bumps from crashes. Thick steel turnbuckles connected with strong composites provide a full range of movement while providing protection, plus they allow you a good range of adjustments so you can fine-tune your settings to get past the pack on the racetrack!
In addition to all the heavy duty options included with the kit, you get a tough, super-strong steering servo that is already equipped with the #80584 Metal Gear Steering upgrade. This allows you to have the security of reliable, quick steering in all conditions. With a powerful servo controlling the steering, the Baja SS will track straight and true when you want it to, no matter how bumpy the running surface it. The front wheels will also stay pointed in the right direction as you power through the turns! This is a great standard feature of the Baja SS, putting you well on your way to a solid electronics package.
To protect the tire sidewalls the kit also includes #3272 Heavy Duty Bead Locks in the Baja silver. The Heavy Duty Bead Locks feature a wide rim that extend further over the sidewall of the rear tires to protect the tires in all conditions, and especially as the Baja slides through corners and across rough ground. They are a great way to extend the life of the tires, and are available in a variety of colors to enable you to match any custom color scheme!
Finally, we can't let the awesome good looks of the Baja SS go unannounced. Not only do you get the option #87477 Gunmetal Anodized Main Chassis, you get a full range of bright orange anodized aluminum 6061 T6 that are specific to the Baja SS. To top everything off, you get a clear bodyshell set that is totally ready for your custom paint scheme! Go for a cool subdued 'urban camo' paint job, a nice flame color scheme or throw your own custom racing paint scheme on the Baja SS to show off just a bit!
Radio: 2-3 ch FM or 2.4GHz with standard size servo for throttle (do not use AM radio)
Receiver Battery: 6V hump configuration, at least 3000mAh
Battery Charger: Timed or paek for receiver pack
Unleaded Gasoline: 87-93 octane, mix gasoline and two cycle oil at 25:1 ratio
Transmitter Batteries: 8 AA
Paint: Spray or brush-on for polycarbonate bodies
Building and track equipment