This is the Hobbico NexSTAR .46 Trainer Glow Powered ARF Airplane, for beginner modeler/fliers. With such features as SpinControl Airfoil Extensions, SpeedBrakes and Training Flaps no other trainer offers so much help for the first-time pilot.
The NexSTAR ARF allows modelers to use the radio and engine of their choice. It's a top-of-the-line trainer that not only looks better, flies better and teaches better...it also offers more flexibility! Still the most advanced training system EVER, with many special features.
Note: This version does not include a radio, pilot assist link, engine, NexSTAR Simulation Software, and the learn-to-fly guarantee.
Pre-built and covered wings, fuselage and tail assemblies, pre-bent main landing gear with three 2.75" (70mm) foam main wheels, steerable nose gear, IsoSmooth aluminum and rubber engine mount, 9.1oz (270cc) fuel tank, 2.24" (57mm) red plastic spinner pushrods, linkages, and photo-illustrated instructions
Servos: Four standard size (1-throttle, 1-rudder, 1-elevator,
Engine: .46 cu in (7.5cc) engine (*see comments below)
Model airplane fuel
Building and field equipment
Charging Rx and Tx batteries
- Construction: Balsa and plywood
- Wings: CenterCore Molded Composite Main Wing Rib maintains perfect alignment and includes a built-in aileron servo mount, wing halves are joined with a steel rod.
- Flat bottom high mount configuration
- One-piece, all wood precision airfoil with SpinControl Airfoil
- Extensions that provide lift even in a stall to keep the
- NexSTAR level and the pilot in control.
- PivotFlex Wing Mounting System fastens with one 1/4-20x2 nylon wing bolt (GPMQ4402),a rubber retainer and pivoting channel absorb minor jolts of normal use, more severe jolts cause the wing to separate from the fuselage and escape the full force of impact.
- Airspeed Restrictor: SpeedBrakes Training Flaps attach to forward section of wing near fuselage and hold airspeed to a minimum to insure smooth landings, removeable as pilot skills increase
- Covering: Polyester based heat shrink, color scheme is White and Red with Silver accents. True Red TOPQ0227
- Landing Gear: Duraluminum SnapGear Quick Landing Gear Mounts,
- (US Patent #6,886,780) lock in place with a snap and provide the strongest landing gear of any trainer, also easily removeable
- Aileron Control: Requires single standard size servo, wings are built with dual aileron servo trays for future upgrades as skills increase, can also be equipped with flaps
- Tail Mounting: EasyAlign System guides parts into place automatically in perfect alignment without tools
- Building Time: Ready to fly in 3-5 hours
- Warranty Period: Hobbico guarantees this kit free from defects in both material and workmanship at purchase date. This warranty does not cover any component part damaged by use or modification.
Wingspan: 68.75" (1746mm)
Wing Area: 722 sq in (46sq dm)
Weight: 6.5lb-6.75lb (2835g-3060g) ready to fly
Wing Loading: 20-21 oz/sq ft (61-66g/sq dm)
Length: 56" (1420mm)
Center of Gravity: 3.18" (81mm) forward limit
Center of Gravity: 3.56" (90mm) aft limit from the wing's leading edge at the fuselage sides
Elevator: Up and Down 0.50" (13mm)
Rudder: Right to Left 0.75" (19mm)
Up: 0.50" (13mm)
Down: 0.37" (9mm)
Right Thrust Angle: 3 degrees
Down Thrust Angle: 4 degrees wing respect to wing incidence
Review Summary (Based on 2 Reviews)
Only issue found was the engine (.46) required an extension.
I have gotten many great flights from this plane. It handles unbelievably well. I switched the receiver battery to one that gave many more flights per charge. A loose battery connection caused complete loss of control at about 100 feet. I enjoy flying this model so much I am replacing it instead of changing to a diffrent plane. It works very good as a camera platform, I have to use short dirt and grass fields. This plane is so predictable I can land it and take off almost like an Alaska Bush Pilot. Great buy for the beginner or for experienced flyers like myself. I did not catch the loose battery connection but now I will use heat shrink tubing on the new plane wiring connectors.Lee